Observations of the curative effect in cases of chronic atrophic gastritis treated with daoying (inducing) or tuina (releasing) therapy

Author: Qigong Science Research Group
Institute for Industry Health, the National Mechanical Industry Commission, Xi'an, Shanxi Province, China
Conference/Journal: 1st World Conf Acad Exch Med Qigong
Date published: 1988
Other: Pages: 103 , Word Count: 357

Chronic atrophic gastritis (CAG) is a common yet difficult illness. In our experiment, Daoying and Tuina therapy was applied to 103 cases. Among them 58 were males and 45 females in an average age of 43. The average duration of disease was 7.8 years.
The cases had been identified by gastroscopy and biopsy before admission based on the diagnostic criterion set on the Chongqing Symposium in 1982. Daoying-Tuina exercises (dynamic-quiescent) were done 4 times a day, an hour each. 79 days made a course and no medication for gastrosis was given.
31 Cases were checked with gastroscopy and biopsy, 30 cases with electrogram and 34 cases with immunity detection by the end for the treatment course. Analysis was worked out by comparison both in oneself and with each other.

Criterion of effect:
Marked effect: Disappearance of abdominal distending pain, anorexia, belching, diarrhea, disappearance or relief of lesions, atrophic gastritis turning to superficial gastritis, or severe atrophic gastritis turning to mild.
Effectiveness: Symptoms relieved, lesions lessened, atrophy of gland lightened for one grade.
Failure: No change

The therapy appeared markedly effective in 72 cases (69.9%). The effective cases were 28 (27.2%). There were 3 failures. The total effectiveness was 97.1%. In gastroscopy and pathology examination, the rate was 35.5%, 29.0% (total: 64.5%); 48.4%, 38.7% (total 87.1%) respectively.
Electrogastrogram check Frequency before meals Before therapy 2.32±0.58; after therapy 2.57 ±0.39 (P<0.05). Amplitude before meals Before therapy 34.33 ±18.65; after therapy 57.5±37.15 (P<0.01). Frequency After meals Before therapy 2.69±0.43; after therapy 2.68±0.35 (P> 0.05). Amplitude after meals Before therapy 54.17+35.38; after therapy 83.67±61.78 (P<0.01).
Immunology examination E-rose knot Before therapy 51.3±8.4%; after therapy 55.3±7.7 % (P<0.05). Lymphocyte transformation rate Before therapy 51.8 ±7.3 %; after therapy 54.3±7.5% (P>0.05). IgG and IgA decreased after the therapy for those increased before therapy.
It is believed that treatment of CAG with qigong has not yet been documented in China. Our total effective rate is 97.1%. The effective rates of Zhang JinFen, Xu Zicheng and Xian Yuenian in treatment of CAG with herbs were 88.5%, 97.5% & 93.1% respectively. Our total effective rate in pathology examination was 87.1%, lower than 73.1%, 61.4%and 71.7% reported by the three authors mentioned above.
It seems to show that Daohing-Tuina exercises would improve the stomach function of those suffering from CAG, improve or adjust the cellular and humoral immunity. The mechanism of the therapy was also discussed in the paper.