Author: Yu Hefeng//Yan Xiaoxia//Xu Lihua
Institute of Space Medico-Engineering, Beijing, China 
Conference/Journal: 1st World Conf Acad Exch Med Qigong
Date published: 1988
Other: Pages: 8 , Word Count: 577
The human body is an open mega system. There are exchanges of material. energy and information between it and the surrounding environments or controlled targets. This paper is to explore, during qigong exercises, whether the human mega system enters into a relatively stable qigong state, and to analyze and describe a series of characteristics of the qigong state as a whole.
Twenty nine tests were conducted in 5 qigong masters. Among the tests three to five were of mind concentration at lower Dantian. One to three control tests were carried out in each subject. Multiple physiological indications, such as frontal and occipital unipolar EEG,
breathing rate, expiratory volume, blood pressure, basic resistance, heart rate, stroke volume of heart, cardiac output, total peripheral resistance of blood vessels and skin temperature at Wangu (SI 4), Dantian, Taixi (K 3) and Laogong (P 8). On the basis of the 17 data (EEG, Resp. Skin Temp., etc.), some comprehensive independent indications, their linear function and the functional state points of system in phasic space were calculated, and systems analysis and objective descriptions of the qigong state were done. The results were as follows:
(1) More than 70% of the information was supplied by the first 2-5 comprehensive indications. It showed the qigong state could be described with less (2-5) dimensions.
2. During qigong exercises, the brain system and respiratory system played an important role in the values of the original indications in the mathematical functions of comprehensive indications. It corresponded to the physiological characteristics during qigong exercises. Energy of alpha rhythm was increased, while delta rhythm decreased. It shows that the qigong exercise process of the human mega system is not only based on the principles of mathematical derivations, but also on the physiological grounds.
3. During qigong exercises, the functional state point in systems phasic space gradually shifted to and concentrated on the relative stable position, far from the positions in the control tests and pre-qigong test. It suggested that the human mega system of the qigong master gradually transposed towards the qigong state. Orderization was gradually intensified and entropy was decreased. A relatively stable state was present. Some of them had arrived at the object ring of the qigong state.
1. The tendencies of the transposition of functional state point and the characteristic values of the original indications in several qigong tests done by the same qigong master were identical with good repeatability. There were some differences between individual qigong masters, which is explained by the difference of their qigong exercises and their qigong experience. It suggested that the organizing construction of their own mega system during transpositional process of the self-organization and self-adaptation were not the same.
5. It was found after bed rest under the same loading (standing position 75° plus lower body negative pressure—40 mm Hg) the shifting distances of functional state points of human mega system in phasic space were longer than before bed rest and the recovery was slower. It suggested the regulating and adaptative ability of the human mega system became weaker.
The shifting distances of functional state points in phasic space under simulated microgravity (head down 15°) would be decreased with the mind concentrated at point Yongquan (K 1). It showed that qigong exercise could improve the functional state of the human mega system and resist the bad effects when the head is lowered.
Some scientific background and methods have been provided for systems analysis on the qigong state, and some foundations were laid for the development of treatment of space adaptation syndrome with qigong exercises.