Author: Wang Xiuguo//Liu Liyuan//Zhang Guifang
Research Laboratory of Human Body Science, Jiamusi Medical College, Jiamusi, China 
Conference/Journal: 2nd Int Conf on Qigong
Date published: 1989
Other: Pages: 68 , Word Count: 492
Professor Qian Xueshen pointed out that, 'We need to systematize traditional Chinese medicine theory and the mechanisms of qigong practice with the conception, term and terminology of systems, physics and physiology.' Qigong state is a special functional state under which a series of changes occur in the human body. It is a very important aspect for us to study on these changes and their mechanisms in the process we investigate the mechanisms of qigong. In this paper, we present these results we've observed the effects of performing outgoing qi or self qigong practice on human ten big systems in the view of physiology since 1979.
1. Neurophysiology: after getting into qigong state, the incubation period of VEP prolonged and amplitude of the wave get lower. But the frequency of spontaneous electrical activity of brain become slow and the amplitude of the wave is enhanced, particularly at frontal lobe.
2. Endocrine system: after practice of the thirty qigong masters, their gonadotropin in saliva increased from 2.13±0.47 to 3.38±0.19 ng/dl. While T4 levels in four rats was decreased from 38.5±l.6 to 28.0±5.1 ng/dl after receiving outgoing qi.
3. Blood system: the blood viscosity decreased from 29.84±3.12 to 24.49±12.04 and LPO from 10.29±4.1 to 9.33±3.9 nmol/ml after 20 days qigong exercise in 10 patients with hypertension.
4. Circulation system: the systolic pressure was lowered by 6.5 mmHg but diastolic pressure had no change after qigong exercise of 30 ones with normal blood pressure. Fifty patients with hypo-tension who practiced hypotension gong and 70 ones with hypertension who practiced hypertension gong were all getting to a normal blood pressure.
5. Respiratory system: masters Jiang Jiliang and Liu Wenjiun who practice masterly skill were observed that the rate of abdominal respiratory become slow significantly which was nearly 1 to 2 times in and was similar to that of static qigong exercise.
6. Digestive system: the amplitude but not the frequency of the wave on electrogastrogram increased markedly as both of Mr. Jiang and Liu exercised.
7. Eliminative system: the decrease of protein content in urine was induced by qigong exercise but not the other 7 kinds of components determined by autonomic analysis.
8. Metabolism system: the basic metabolism rate decreased by 12.9% in 30 qigong practitioners . And the reduction process of KMno4 accelerated after receiving outgoing qi.
9. Body temperature regulation: after qigong exercise of 30 qigong practitioners, the skin temperature of whose Yintang xue and Laogong xue increase 1 to 2 degrees C.
10. Sensory system: the average vision of 32 students who exercised Eye Qigong practice improved and the regulation scope increased.
To sum up, qigong state or outgoing qi is not any mysterious things with supernatural force, but it is a state that nervous system keeps a high integration and synchronization condition.
At those states, the system to external circumstance (such as occipital lobe) is inhibited, while the system to internal one (i.e. forehead--thalasus--hypothalamus) is readjusted. At last, the activity of viscera reaches a self-equilibrium state with two way regulation, i.e. the best functional state of two way regulations with the static appearance and the mobilization of the inner potential.