Author: Feng Lida//Wang Yunsheng//Chen Shuying//Chen Haixing
Beijing China Immunology Research Center, China 
Conference/Journal: 2nd Int Conf on Qigong
Date published: 1989
Other: Pages: 1 , Word Count: 1577
The experiment was conducted to study the effect on the immune functions in mice by qigong 'waiqi.' It was shown that qigong 'waiqi' could increase the phagocytic function of the peritoneal macrophages (p<0.01), the activity of acid phosphatase in M-P (P=phi) (p<0.05) and enhance the induction of anti-sheep red blood cells (SRBC) IgM direct plaque forming cell(PFC) (p<0.05),and increase the amount of the splenic cells (p<0.05) in mice. The mechanism and route of the enhancement of immune function in mice remain further investigation.
In order to reflect exactly if there is the effect on regulating immune response after body was affected by Gigong 'waiqi,' we choose mature C57BL mice as an experiment model, and have done several experiments repeatedly to observe some immune response. The experiments have gained primarily a satisfactory result. Now, they are summarized as follows:
Materials and Methods
(1) Animals: C57BL mice were obtained, mature male, 10+-2 weeks of age, 18 +-2 g in weight, from the feeding animal place of Beijing Academy of Military Medical Science.
(2) Sheep red blood cells: They were obtained from the animal lab of our hospital. It was fresh cells collected from a certain sheep on the day when the experiment was done. ALL SRBC were resuspended in phosphate-buffered saline (PBS).
(3) complement: The serums frozen dry of Guinea pigs were obtained from Beijing Biological Production Institute. The complement was absorbed from by SRBC (0.2ml packed SRBCml) undiluted with PBS to 1:10.
(4) Splenic cell suspension: An i.p. injection of 0.2ml of 5%SRBC each mouse One day +5, the mice were killed and their spleens were removed, then the spleen was put cold PBS(PH7.2) for teasing the cells through a nylon net, the cell clumps were washed twice in PBS. After counting, adjusted the concentration of cells to 1*10^7 /ml. The vital cell proportion is higher than 95% tested by vital staining with trypan blue.
(5) Gaining and purifying peritoneal macrophages of mice:
On the day when an experiment was done, macrophages of each group were gained from the abdomen of mice, and purified with adherent method.
2. Divided experimental group and the method of applying qigong 'waiqi' to animals:
oup. In experiment group, the mice were immunized i.p. with
5 SRBC 0.2ml each mouse and were stimulated by qigong 'waiqi,' while in the control group the mice were only immunized with 0.2ml 5% SRBC/mouse. The method of applying qigong 'waiqi' to animal was that we put the mice of experimental group in a container, and the qigong master released 'waiqi' for 20 min. to the container with five mice each, for continuously five days. If there were more than 5 mice in some experiments the amount and time of 'waiqi' released should be increased.
3. Observation of the phagocytic function of. the peritoneal macrophages:
The method of observation the phagocytic function of the peritoneal macrophages was the sane as Wood reported. [l]
4. Detection of the activity of acid phosphatase in M-P:
After M were perified, adjusted the concentration of the cells to 4*10^6/ml, and then were frozen and incubated at 37 C, which was repeated 6 times. We used the method detecting the activity of acid phosphatatase in M-P of mice, as Feiqing reported. 
5. Detection the serum lysozyme in mice:
The method of detecting the serum lysozyme in mice followed what Tian Guochai used. 
6. Testing PFC response with quantitated spectrophometer:
The method was the same as Simpso M and Shi Meihao used. [4,5]
1. The effect on the phagocytic function of the peritoneal macrophages by qigong 'waiqi':
In order to study the effect on the phagocytic function of the peritoneal macrophages by qigong 'waiqi,' the mice were randomly divided to carry out the experiment. The result is as Table 1:
Table 1: The phagocyte function of the mice peritoneal
Group % of phagocytosis* phagocytic index
avg X +- SD avg X +- SD
Experiment 31,154+-11.739 1.972+-0.846
Control 18.077+-7.942 1.508+-0.416
Exp./control 1.723 1.308
?:p>0.05 (The attribution was not made in the table.)
Comparing the value between two group, there is statistical meaning in the percent of phagocytosis(p < 0.01). And there is higher the phagocytic index in experimental group than that in control group, but there is not statistical meaning (p>0.05). It suggests that qigong 'waiqi' has increase the percent of phagocytosis of M-P in mice.
2. The effect on the activity of acid phosphatase in peritoneal macrophages by qigong 'waiqi':
At that time when we did the above experiment, we used quantitated spectrophomenter to test the activity of acid phosphatase in peritoneal macrophages. The result is as in Table 2.
Table 2: Activity of acid phosphatase in M-P of mice
Group Value (Jin's Unit) t p
As shown in Table 2, there is a remarkable difference in activity of acid phosphatase in M-P of mice between two groups, that is the activity of acid phosphatase in M-P in the experimental group is much higher than that in control group. It suggests that qigong 'waiqi'may activate the acid phosphatase in M-P of the mice.
3. The effect on PPC response by Gigong 'waiqi':
We used spectrophotometrical method to determine PFC response, and did the experiment for three times. The three
results are as Table 3.
Table 3: The effect on PFC response by Gigong 'waiqi'
Experiment experiment group control group t p
(avg X +- SD) (avg X +- SD)
1 0.860+-0.203 (8) 0.546+-0.296 (8) 2.475 <0.05
2. 0.747+-0.159 (10) 0.650+-0.095 (11) 2.666 <0.05
3. 1.220+-0.059 (5) 1.085+-0.041 (5) 4.192 <0.01
average+SD 0.889+-0.243 (23) 0.706+-0.269 (24) 2.450 <0.05
() : the number of mice in bracket
As shown in table 3, comparing the O.D. value between experimental group and control group, there is statistical meaning, i.e. the O.D. value of experiment group is obviously higher than that of the control group. It suggests that qigong 'waiqi' has a stimulating effect on splenic cells of mice to develop IgM antibody. The O.D. value (avg X+SD) of normal group is only 0.076 + 0.027.
4. The effect on the amount of splenic cells was examined with light microscope, and the counting method was according to the one of white blood cells.
The amount of splenic cells of the mice in experiment group is highest among the three groups. There is remarkable difference in the total amount of splenic cells (F=3.360,p<0.05). It suggests that the total amount of splenic cells has increased after being stimulated by qigong 'waiqi.'
5. The effect on the serum lysozyme in mice by qigong 'waiqi.'
We measured the serum lysozyme in mice by qigong 'waiqi.' There is slightly higher in the experiment group, but there is not statistical meaning between experiment group and control group.
Qigong therapy has a long history in China. In Neijing,  the cannon of Medicine which is the earliest work on medicine in China, there were already references to the use of deep breathing. Qigong therapy which is a therapy based on deep breathing exercises is an important component of traditional Chinese medicine. Qigong therapy is based on the principle of Chinese medicine that is to build up the position forces of the body or reinforce the body resistance and to get rid of the negative influences or eliminate the external and internal pathogenic factors. Some well-trained qigong practitioners really can send out something called 'waiqi' (outward qi), which emitted during qigong is commonly called Kongjin. Thereby can help patients dredge channels and collaterals and qi and blood and cure disease.
Qigong 'waiqi' has been show to enhance the reaction of cellular immunity [7,8], and to affect the phagocyte function. [91. In our experiments, it was very interesting that qigong 'waiqi' could not only enhance the phagocyte function of the phagocytosis of mice, and could but also remarkably increase the activity of acid phosphatase in M-P, the quantity of splenic cells and the induction of anti-sheep red blood cells (SRBC)IgM direct plaque forming-cells (PFC) response in mice. And qigong 'waiqi' to increase PFC response. This condition remains further investigation. As the above shown, both the specific and nonspecific immune response in were significantly qigong masters really can produce a series of peculiar physical and physiology effect are signal of infrared,static electricity and magnetism. Some can produce microelectric paritical current. Through animal experiment ill] visible changes in cell electrophoresis have been witnessed. These experimental results show that the 'waiqi' of qigong has physical existence.
Qigong 'waiqi' has physical existence. After the animals received 'waiqi', it was through what route and what mechanism to affect splenic cells and macrophages and how to increase the immune response, and how much qigong 'waiqi' released and for how long could affect body that need to be further investigated.
We think that qigong belongs to the category of life science. The further research on qigong will Bake it possible to understand and comprehend the self-regulation system of human body and to explore the secrets of the life of human beings. This will surely present favorable condition for a new immunology created in our country by combining traditional Chinese and Western medicine and pave the new way for the research of medical science.
1. Wood SM: J Immunol Method 20:43,1987
2. Lin Feiqing et al: Chinese Journal of Microbiology and Immunology 1(4):274,1981
3. Tian Guochai et al:Chinese Journal of Microbiology and Immunology 6(2):107,1986
4. limps M :J Immunol Method 21:159,1987
5. Shi Meihao et al: Shanghai Journal of Immunology 1(1):1,1981
6. Ma Jiren: Chinese Qigongology p.14
7. Hjang Gunmei et al: Journal of Gigong & Science 6:3,1984 8. Li Shaobo et al: Journal of Gigong & Science 7:10,1984
9. Li Zaishi et al: Immunology Express 3(3):13,1983
10. Ou Souson: Journal of Qigong & Science 2:18,1986
11. Gigong therapy: p.p 79-80,1976