Author: Yu Hefeng//Yan Xiaoxia
Institute of Space Medico-Engineering, Beijing 100094, China 
Conference/Journal: 2nd World Conf Acad Exch Med Qigong
Date published: 1993
Other: Pages: 67 , Word Count: 381
1. In order to establish a scientific method for evaluating human somatic eigenstates and to create a new way for deeply developing qigong researches and popularizing the application of qigong, meta-synthetic investigations were carried out on the integral physiological functional basis of the open complex giant system of the human body , under the direction of theories of systems science , synergetics and human somatic science, on the basis of principles of integration, correlation, dynamics and orderization.
2. One thousand four hundred and eight tests were performed on 202 healthy subjects under waking, sleeping, working, qigong and bed-rest states or loading conditions. Multi-systems and multi-physiological and biochemical parameters were observed and recorded on the tape recorder synchronously and continuously in each test.
3. On the basis of numerous observed data, necessary preliminary processings were performed for each parameter to condense data and to stress the system's characteristics. A series of macroscopic, complex, multi-level and multi variate analysis were applied.
4. The results showed that:
(l) Seldom (2—3) independent, unrelated comprehensive parameters by which a lot of information was provided, were able to substitute the numerous observed original parameters to decrease the dimensions of the system's phasic space. A new system's phasic space only with 2—3 dimensions was formed by these comprehensive parameters.
(2) The physiological functional states of the whole somatic system were able to be described with one physiological functional state point in his own system's phasic space. The locations, shift in directions and distances, moving traces ,oscillations and fluctuations of physiological functional state points in the system's phasic space and the physiological meaning reflected with comprehensive parameters were used to express the subject' s situated physiological functional state, and the dynamic characteristics, system's constructive characteristics and physiological meaning during the self-adaptation and self-organization directly and concisely.
(3) Multi-variable discrimination was used for diagnosis if the whole somatic system under certain eigenstates or not.
5. A set of new established meta-synthetic methods was able to evaluate objectively and quantitatively the human somatic giant system situation of physiological functional state; under certain eigenstate or not; transforming process among various eigenstates; quality of regulation and levels of adaptation.
6. The whole set of these methods existed either with the scientific theoretic basis. or with strict mathematic derivations. further with real physiological significances. It is able to be used in investigation into and application of qigong.